People expect to pay more for a property that looks its best, so we recommend putting time and energy into your home’s presentation.
There are many simple ways you can make your home feel inviting and comfortable. The list below is a great start, or talk to our team about some of the ways we can work together to add value to your property.
The outside of your home is the first thing potential buyers see, so it’s important it looks inviting. Consider what people see and feel when they approach your property and make a great first impression.
- New doormats at each entrance will make people feel comfortable entering your home and reduce the need for cleaning
- Make sure the entrance is welcoming – add colour either side with bright pots of flowers
- Thoroughly clean the front door, and polish any fittings
- Invest in a new street number for the house
- Remove cobwebs
- Revive paintwork by washing with sugar soap
- Consider a fresh paint colour
- Wash down window sills, down pipes and eaves
- Clean windows and repair any that are broken
- Clear out gutters and down pipes – now’s a good time to fix any leaks
- Trim trees and plants covering windows to let in the light
- Check that outdoor lights are clean and in good working order
- Clean the garage door and check that it opens easily
- Clean out the garage
- Remove pets during inspections
As soon as people enter your home, they start to imagine themselves living there. The same applies for photos and films used in your marketing.
Now’s the time for a spring clean – the small details all add up, giving your home extra appeal and assuring potential buyers that it has been cared for.
- Steam clean carpets, wash curtains and dust blinds
- Clean flyscreens and windows
- Sweep out wood heaters and fireplaces
- Polish mirrors
- Clean ovens, range hoods and exhaust fans
- Clean and repair tiles and grout
- Check appliances are clean and in good working order
- Do any minor repairs
- Fix dripping taps
- Oil doors and windows that stick or creak
- Spray silicon on curtain tracks so they glide freely
- Remove unnecessary clutter and furniture to make rooms feel bigger and improve the flow
- Open curtains and bedroom doors to allow natural light in, and to show the views
- Clear kitchen benches
- Clean and tidy cupboards
- Remove posters from bedroom walls for a tidy, spacious feeling
- Remove ashtrays
- Remove washing (including nappy buckets), pet bowls and litter trays
- Clean bathrooms and toilets
- Invest in new towels and shower curtains for bathrooms
- Replace old soap scraps with new cakes of soap
- De-clutter the bathroom bench top
- Use an open fire or wood heater to create a warm and friendly atmosphere, or open windows to allow breezes and fresh garden scents in
- Place vases of cut flowers and bowls of fresh fruit on tables or sideboards
- Turn on lamps in darker areas
- Play soft background music to create a relaxed ambience
- Make sure that perfumed candles or oils aren’t overwhelming
Outdoor living areas
If you’re lucky enough to have an attractive outdoor entertaining area, it can add significant value to your home. Keeping this area in top condition will entice many buyers looking for a ‘lifestyle purchase’.
- Spruce up garden settings and open garden umbrellas
- Sweep decks and paving and consider revamping your decking with a coat of oil
- Clean ponds, fountains and water features and fill with fresh, clear water
- Clean the pool and add to its allure with tubs of attractive plants
- Store children’s toys neatly out of the way
A well-maintained garden can add significant value to your property. Even in winter when the garden is dormant, attention to detail will give your home an impressive edge in the market.
- Prune trees where required, and trim climbers and creeping plants
- Fix muddy grass by putting down instant lawn or stepping stones
- Dig and weed garden beds – a layer of pine bark or mulch will instantly improve the look and health of the garden and also keep weeds at bay
- Mow lawns regularly (not too short!) and trim the edges
- Sweep paths and driveways, and remove any oil stains
- Remove rubbish and use rotting or fallen leaves as mulch
- Collect fallen fruit – besides looking untidy, they might be walked through your home
- Ensure fences are secure and in good condition
- Check that the letterbox is in good condition
- If you have pets, remove droppings regularly
- Invest in some flowering annuals from the local garden nursery – they add instant colour in garden beds or pots
- Give lawns and garden beds a good water in the evening to keep them looking fresh, especially during summer
You can also view our extensive guide for renovating to add sale value below.
If you would like more information on the current market in Hobart, you can download our latest market report here.